Friday, June 1, 2012

On a wing and a...

Well this WIIW image really stymied people first time round.

Following my clues we had a second round of guesses,

I have to give Jennifer part marks, it is colourful, there is a wing in the image. But alas it is not a parrot, and there is no rock in sight.

Anne and Kathy guessed an eye. I can so see that! If I didn’t know what it was I would be with you and guessing eye too.

Dawn was more restrained this time, which kind of takes some of the fun out of it all :-)
Alas she was still wrong it isn’t a plant (although there is some plant in the whole piccie).

Which brings us to… drum-roll please…

Carolyn V’s guess of “butterfly”

Well done Carolyn you’ve nailed it!

This fellow is a Cairns Birdwing Butterfly (Ornithoptera euphorion)

It is my piccie, but it was an easy capture. I snapped it in the Butterfly House here in Melbourne. He is an Oz native, but not from this neck of the woods. The Cairns Birdwing is from the rainforests in Australia’s tropical north, 2900 km (1800 miles) away from here. At 15 cm (6 inches) across they are the largest butterfly in Oz . 

7 comments:

Yvonne Osborne said...

It's gorgeous!! I never would've gussed the close-up either. Aren't Butterfly Houses amazing?

Jen said...

Hi Al! Sorry I missed this little picture quiz :). I've been a bit AWOL in the last month!

This butterfly is beautiful! The colors are just gorgeous.

Have a wonderful Friday!
Jen

Anne Gallagher said...

She's beautiful. I thought for sure it was an eye. Oh well.

Old Kitty said...

I love it!!!! Totally totally fooled me!! Yay!!! Take care
x

Carolyn V said...

Woohoo!!! I can't believe I guessed it right! Yes. ;)

What a beautiful butterfly.

D.J. Kirkby said...

Hi Al
I know it has been ages since I last visited here. Things have been manic, I've moved websites etc. I really like the guess photo in this post, that butterfly is SO gorgeous.

Dawn Simon said...

I almost guessed a butterfly! Really! Though I shouldn't get too excited because I was actually pretty confused. See, I was thinking the green (or yellow?) might have been part of a butterfly's wing, but then I couldn't figure out the gray--which is actually the wing! (And excuse me if it's white and not gray, yellow and not green--I'm red-green color blind.)

Anyway, super fun and congrats to Carolyn! :) It's such a beautiful photo!!

P.S. - Your continentist comment at my blog completely cracked me up!

P.P.S. - My husband was in Melbourne about 1 1/2 weeks ago! He loved it!