Thursday, December 20, 2012

Points all Round.



Well my WIIW this week was an easy peasy one!

Marcy said: "Grillwork in an entry of some historic landmark?"
 Well that is worth 100% + bonus points for the extra information it is an historic landmark!

Jennifer (AKA Old Kitty) said: "Ooooh it's a doorway to one of the old post offices!
 It is an old doorway 100%, but no bonus points because it isn't a post office.

And Linda G said "It's a doorway. ;) "
 That is exactly right it is a doorway, 100%

So what was the mystery building?
 I have posted about this place before...
In the Carlton Gardens just near my office is the Royal Exhibition building
Like the Eiffel Tower in Paris this structure was built as a temporary affair for an International Exhibition. To be precise the 1880 Exhibition when Melbourne was the richest city in the world (thanks to 30 years of gold-rushes) and wanted to show off.
Half of the structure was demolished at the end of the exhibition but a last minute change of heart saved the rest.
The Royal Exhibition Building had a brief break from its normal duties in the early part of the 20th Century when it acted as the first home of the Commonwealth Parliament of Australia (our second and third Parliament buildings are in our Federal Capital Canberra).  
But since then it has returned to its original duty as the site for around 300 days of shows and exhibitions each year.

5 comments:

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Dang, I have to start getting here earlier. The last couple weeks, you've given the answer before I've gotten here to see the picture. (I'm pretty sure I woulda gotten this one right. Pretty doggone nice of you to offer an easy one as an early Christmas gift.)

Anonymous said...

I missed it too. A belated 'thank you' for being kind to your blogging pals and offering an easy WIIW.

mshatch said...

yay me! I love historic buildings; modern architecture seems so bland in comparison.

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

Thanks for telling us about some of the buildings in Australia. I've never been there, but am intrigued. And I know next to nothing about Canberra.

Linda G. said...

Woo-hoo! It pays not to be too specific, I see. ;)