Thursday, December 6, 2012

On being a media tart.

First things first, yesterday's WIIW elicited a few guesses of "eye".
Well I am happy to reveal everyone who said "eye" is on the write track. But it isn't a bird!

Jennifer (AKA Old Kitty) guessed "the eclipse". I have to say that is exactly what I thought this image looked like. Clever of you to remember we had a Solar Eclipse down this way recently (alas I was about 3000 kilometres away from being able to see it). Definitely some bonus points coming for that guess!

Second Kathleen Jones has posted about the anxiety of being a "media tart".
I have to say I identify with the problem.

At work I present a confidant persona, can talk at state-wide conferences, public information sessions.

You name it, I can do it.

But...
When it comes to talking about my own work, or myself and I clam up!
I am at best anxious and shy when it comes to self promotion.

How about you dear reader are you "shy and retiring" when it comes to self promotion?

Answer to WIIW tomorrow


8 comments:

Kristen M. said...

Not a bird, huh? Since you said it was easy, might it be a dog? Lilli?

And I am awful at self-promotion, which probably is most noticeable during job interviews when I have to talk about my strengths and successes.

Anne Gallagher said...

I thought it looked like the eclipse too, but I figured that would be too easy.

Let me guess amphibian/reptile eye then. I'm into those this week I guess.

As for self-promotion, I'm with you. I can talk to anyone, stand up in front of crowds and not embarrass myself, but talk about my books, forget it.

Linda G. said...

Not a bird, huh? How about a crocodile?

Anonymous said...

Hmm, not a bird... Well, surely, something reptilian?

I'd like to be in a position to worry about self-promotion. :-) I'm guessing I'd be useless at it.

mshatch said...

I'd rather have someone else promote my work, given the choice. I was always taught not to toot your own horn.

Kathleen Jones said...

Thanks for the mention Al. mshatch has hit the problem, I think. We were all brought up too well - taught not to toot our own horns!

Hart Johnson said...

Hmmm... no guesses on the eye... but the media tart thing... THAT I can do. But I don't do so much self promotion as just goofing around. I am present enough that I think people notice me.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Hmmm, I'm late to the party, but that sure does look like a rooster's eye to me. But no bird, huh? Maybe a...a...a... heck, I don't know. Creepy-looking. As for the promotion, I'm good at promoting causes, other people, and activities. (for recruitment purposes) But self-promotion? Lousy, absolutely lousy.