Friday, August 31, 2012

Two out of Two!

When I posted this WIIW I said “I don’t think this is a toughie”

And I didn’t because 3 out of 4 of my test subjects (AKA my family) came up with answers that earned good points.
Then when John G said “bloody hell.... I have no idea”, I wondered if it was a bit harder.

Linda G didn’t have a real guess but said “Whatever it is, it's rusty! (There. I get partial credit for that, don't I?)”

Yes, Linda it is rusty so as your statement is factually correct I suppose you have earned some points. 49% for barrack room lawyer Linda :-)

Marcy was more creative with “is it a speaker of some sort? An old fashioned kind like on a boat? Honestly, I don't know, but I agree with Linda, it looks rusty! Which means metal, right?”
I can see that it does look like it has a shape to keep moisture out, and yes it is metal, so 49% + 10% for a good effort. 59% for Marcy.

Susan said “Oh, pbbbbbbt! You NEVER think your pictures are "toughies". Well, I beg to differ. (It's either that or I'm just plain dumb, and I refuse to accept that possibility.) I have to agree with Linda, though, that whatever it is appears to be rusted and in dire need of cleaning. Beyond that, beats me!”

I am hurt Susan, hurt :-). Actually when I put this up I thought of you Susan (no not because it is old).
You often post about cars and have posted about you and your hubby’s interest in things like Model A Fords, so I guessed you would have seen one of these or could work it out from the background. More on that in a moment, 49% for Susan.

Carolyn V, guessed “The first thought I had was chocolate (I'm a little hungry) and a rusty tractor.”
Definitely not chocolate, but your second guess is exactly what my experimental subjects guessed. A rusty tractor is near enough to earn serious points 60% for Carolyn!

But our star once again is Jennifer (AKA Old Kitty) with her guess: “It's a bit off a very old car!”

It is! 100% for Jennifer!

I found this old car in Steiglitz. Steiglitz is a ghost-town in Victoria dating back to the  Gold-Rush era.
The part in the piccie is the hood on the crank-case vent of this old car. New cars have the vented fumes running back into the inlet manifold to burn off the oil fumes. But in the bad old days those fumes just vented into the atmosphere.

I thought the give-away for anyone who has looked closely at engines would be the Welch plug behind the hood, but maybe I have looked at too many engine blocks in my time :-).

4 comments:

Linda G. said...

Sheesh. No wonder I couldn't guess it. I'm lucky I got 49%.

Old Kitty said...

LOL!!!! I'm so aiming for a hat trick! LOL!! Take care
x

mshatch said...

with all these gals visiting your blog you thought we'd recognize an engine block? Ha!

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Okay, so maybe I AM dumb. Ya got me again!