Sunday, August 12, 2012

Golden Wattle

A quick “Piccie of the Day” tonight. I have stayed fairly close to home today.

I had to go out early to take Lu to one of her jobs. She was phoned in at short notice so didn’t have time to get there by bus. She likes Sunday work because they pay a Sunday penalty rate. 

After that Deb and I went and had a leisurely Sunday brunch at Wild Wombat one of our favourite cafes. 

I spent a couple of hours poking around Hurstbridge and Wattle Glen trying to get some decent photos of the wattle blooming in the bush.

As you can see patches of the bush around have turned gold with the blossom.
I was not as happy as I might have been because the light was not cooperating at all today.  Still I got a few shots that might be OK with some photo shopping.  The blossom should be nice for perhaps another week so with luck the sun will cooperate next weekend. Still I should not  grumble; the piccie I posted yesterday would have not been nearly so nice without the sun peeking between the clouds.
"Black Wattle" (Possibly Acacia decurrens)  
A quick note for those of you who don't know:
  • "wattle" is the common name for around 1,000 species of Acacia shrubs and trees that grow across Oz.
  • It is a safe bet that at almost any time of year you won't have to got too far to find at least one species flowering 
  • they are called "wattle" because early settlers in Sydney used their branches to build "wattle and daub" walls.

4 comments:

Kathleen Jones said...

I love Wattle - the tiny perfect pom-pom blossoms. My daughter has it in her NZ garden.

Old Kitty said...

Acacia sounds nicer for such a stunning plant!! Take care
x

mshatch said...

so! pretty We don't have wattle here :(

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Beautiful. Gives a whole new meaning to the expression, "There's gold in them thar hills."