Thursday, September 5, 2013

Snakes Alive! Or it must be spring

Well it has been unseasonably warm down this way over the past few weeks.

As proof of that as we were heading out a few days ago we saw our first snake of the season.

And she was a beauty!

Back before winter I snapped a few photos on my phone of a Carpet Python crossing our track.

This Diamond Python (Morelia spilota spilota) was in almost the same place but this time I had my camera.

She was on the track and went into this aggressive pose when I went to move her.

Pythons are non-venomous (they dispatch their prey by constriction) but they have a mouth full of needle sharp teeth. And at about six feet long a bite from her would hurt (a lot). It is mostly bluff though as they usually try to avoid confrontation.

I moved around her looking for nice shots but she kept swivelling around to face me.
And given her posture I wasn't entirely sure she wouldn't bite. The tight "S" curve of her body is basically like a coiled spring ready to strike.
 They are called "Diamond  Pythons" because of the rosettes that spangle their body.

I think she has moulted recently because although she was dusty from crossing our dry dirt track,  her scales glistened beautifully in the light.

Eventually she realised she wasn't going to bluff me and turned tail and glided away.







4 comments:

Sage Ravenwood said...

Gorgeous shots Al. I prefer my snakes in pictures, close up makes me nervous. Strange enough I have snake on my totem. (Hugs)Indigo

Kathleen Jones said...

What a beautiful encounter, Al. And lovely pics.
On another subject - my review of your first book goes up on the Eclectic Electric book review site on the 9th of Sept (uk time), so that might be a good day to do some more publicity for it and give it a nudge. I'll send you a link when it's live.

John Going Gently said...

They frighten me x

Wendy R said...

Exquisite photographs Al. So dramatic and ancient. Could inspire a poet I feel, Wxx