Saturday, September 7, 2013

Amazons

Only two guesses for this week's WIIW.

I suppose that is what I get for posting about snakes...



It seems the image was more difficult to guess than I thought.
Put that down to my tricky nature.
Both guesses were kind of right - so both earn points.


Linda G thought: “Why, that is obviously bent...something. Metal, it looks like to me. Or possibly an old wire you removed from your house. (IOW, I haven't a clue. *grin*)”


Well it does look bent, and it is definitely metal, bronze in fact. 50%


While Old Kitty guessed: “It's a leather strap!”

As I said above it is bronze, but it is a representation of a leather strap so I guess that earns 70%!


This Amazonian figure is a memorial to the fallen soldiers of World War One.
She stands in Camperdown in Victoria, and her name is “Spirit of Empire”, which seems rather anachronistic in 2013 Oz.
Still I guess those who lost so many were looking for some kind of meaning and Oz in the 1920s was a very different place.

4 comments:

mshatch said...

I might have guessed old rubber, like from a belt that had split with age or use. Cool statue but I can't imagine fighting in a gown like that. She'd trip before anything else I'm afraid.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Oh, you ARE tricky.

Linda G. said...

Tricky, tricky, tricky... ;)

Misha Gerrick said...

It's a beautiful statue, though.