Friday, March 1, 2013

In which we make a start and Al gives an answer

Well as you know Deb and I have "gone bush" and relocated to my Mum's house as a temporary measure.
Temporary because we have to do significant work to our little cottage before we can move in.

This first piccie is of the lounge room wall and ceiling. The house has been standing empty for nearly twenty years and has been leaking so the old masonite partitions and ceilings are beyond salvaging.

Last week end, as you know it was raining (as it is again) so I made a start on pulling out the lining

I started by pulling out the walls. You can see the old weatherboards have had it, they will need to be replaced too but it is just too wet outside!
Then I pulled down the ceiling, and what a mess came down. The old insulation formed the basis for my WIIW (all of you who guessed insulation get 100%) 

What you can't see (thankfully) is 50 years of rat and mouse droppings that also came down!

I am hoping I can refinish the house to keep the buggers out in the future

4 comments:

Yvonne Osborne said...

Oh, Al! This looks exactly like my upstairs did a year ago. And I don't need a picture to envision what comes down when you tear out a ceiling! Now we're almost ready to install the carpet. You can do it. It is so satisfying to restore an old house, especially one with which you have a family connection.

mshatch said...

I've torn down ceilings before and gotten the same thing. Ugh! I hope you'll post your progress fixing up the place - I'd enjoy watching the makeover :)

Linda G. said...

Whew! Looks like you have quite a job ahead of you. But think how nice it will be when you're done! :)

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

You have quite a lot of work ahead of you, but hey, it'll be a labor of love, right? (And I know you'll love to get rid of all those droppings, too.) Looking forward to seeing your progress.