Monday, November 14, 2011

In which Al limps his way along.

I mentioned a while ago that I was beginning to read the second draft of my second novel to Deb. As a creative tool I find this wonderfully useful.

I get to weave my way through the narrative, and really hear the rhythm. Deb is a great listener and gently critical when the plot (or the writing) needs it.

So far we are about 10% through and on the whole Deb likes it. But the downside is she has identified some points where I need to do more to develop the relationship between two characters. So as you can see very helpful!

Now I am going to digress to one of my other favorite topics waterfalls.

Weeks ago I took a trip to the Otway ranges in Western Vic. Unlike the Grampians they are just behind the coast so they are wet, very wet.

I wove my way down through the rainforest in search of the Beauchamp Falls.I caught a few shots of this amazing fungi,And from underneath.Finally I reached the falls. After climbing down these stairs I got this shot from a viewing platform about half way up.Never one to make things easy for myself I decided to leave the formal path and climb down to the river bed to get shots from the base of the falls.

I’m glad I did because I saw this little fellow.He was hunting for insects in a small patch along the river banks.
The shots aren’t great because it was really dark under the forest and he would not sit still.

I have no idea what he is, I have never seen one before. I presume he is quite a local species.

About now I did something very silly and slipped on what appeared to be quite dry and stable rocks.

In saving myself I managed to bash my knee and soak my clothes.

Fortunately, when I am crossing ground that I’m unsure of I carry my camera in a padded bag. So no damage to my camera, I think I would have cried had I broken it.

I limped on upstream to the base of the falls and caught some more shots.The misty look is caused by spray from the falls. When I looked at the rocks I saw why I had fallen. Continuous drifts of moisture from the falls has caused them to grow a slick film of brown algae. What looks like rock is actually as slick as ice.

Kind of content I had the fun of climbing back out of the gorge, then climbing the stairs and finally a mile long walk (or should I say limp) back to the car.

As I said this was weeks ago, and I am all healed up. But it is a good lesson extra care is needed. Good shots are not worth an injury.

7 comments:

Old Kitty said...

Oh Al!! The bird was worth it! Seriously!! That is one beautiful stunning bird and I'm sorry you slipped and fell and hurt yourself but oh that bird was worth all that! :-)

Awwww big hugs!!

Beautiful bird! Take care
x

Linda G. said...

Ouch! Glad your knee is better.

And if your novel is half as good as your nature photography, you'll have a bestseller on your hands. :)

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Another wonderful batch of photos, and the last shot is totally worth that little mishap. (Yeah, I know. Easy for ME to say ... not my pound of flesh left behind on those rocks!)

Kathleen Jones said...

Those Beauchamps got everywhere! Lovely Funghi - glad your leg is better! Take care.

Kristen M. said...

Glad to hear you're better! Your piccies are, as always, awe-inspiring. Every one brings me closer to booking a flight. :)

MTeacress said...

I've never seen a mushroom like that. How pretty.

I'm glad you are healing well, and that you didn't hurt your camera. That would have been very sad.

About your comment on my blog - I just realized, when you said Victoria, that you meant where you are now. I was thinking of Vancouver. Silly, I know. :/

John Going Gently said...

that fat bird is a cartoon!