Thursday, February 3, 2011

Batterings and Crossroads

Poor Queensland (the state of my birth) has been copping another battering. As if the worst floods in 100 years weren’t bad enough Far North Queensland has just been hit by the biggest cyclone to hit Oz since 1919.

To give an idea of how big Cyclone Yasi has been the Brisbane Times has superimposed an image of it against a couple of familiar places in the world.

Yasi in comparison to EuropeAnd America
The only saving grace (and this is a huge one) is the centre of the storm missed major population centres. Places like Cairns and Townsville have a huge cleanup but they don’t have to be rebuilt.
It isn’t all good, smaller centres like Mission Beach, Tully and Cardwell have been pretty much flattened.
But as of this afternoon there were no reported deaths or serious injuries, so miracles do sometimes seem to happen.

Once again there is a personal dimension to this for me. My father lives north of Cairns and one of my brothers has a house at Innisfail which has also been damaged.
I haven’t heard from them since the storm hit and may not for a few days because the power and phones are down in most of the area. Dad is not likely to have suffered any material loss, but Conrad may have.
Remember though before you get too worried on our account “no deaths or serious injuries”.

Actually I was going to talk about something else of a personal nature tonight but I am whacked so it will have to wait till next time.

8 comments:

Ellen Brickley said...

Sorry to hear your family have been affected again Al, keeping everything crossed that they've suffered no losses.

Kathleen Jones said...

Here in Britain we've been watching Yasi and holding our breath. It's a miracle that Queensland has escaped what could have been a catastrophe, on top of what people have already suffered. We're all thinking of you.

Old Kitty said...

Yep, my poor sister and her kids are there too but have missed the worst of this hurricane. Poor Queensland though!

I hope and pray your family continue to be safe!! Enough of this mad weather now please! :-(

Take care
x

Claudia Zurc said...

My prayers go out to your family and all those affected by the hurricane. I can't believe Mother Nature hasn't given Australia a chance to recover. :(
It's a good thing that so far there are no deaths or injuries and let's hope it stays that way. Material things can be replaced. I totally empathize, I lived throught hurricane Andrew in Florida back in 1994. Keep us updated, please.

Hannah said...

This has been a brutal season for storms all around! I hope all is well and you and your loved ones continue to be safe.

Hart Johnson said...

Wow-Queensland really has gotten it this year! I'm so sorry about all the loss and damage, but VERY glad to hear no deaths or serious injuries. I hope you hear from your brother soon!

Ann Summerville said...

The map certainly puts things into perspective. I hope you hear from your brother soon. This must be so worrying for your family.
Ann

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Al .. certainly those maps identify the strength of the storm - thanks for bringing them up .. it's easier to relate.

I hope all will be well with your Dad, and your brother and not too much material damage has been done. Generally weather everywhere has been pretty odd .. but Oz has certainly had the worst of it.

I don't know if you saw pic of the day by Wikipedia on 2nd Feb .. Cape Raoul on the SW corner of the Tasman Peninsula.

Be thinking of you and the family though .. all the best Hilary