Thursday, September 6, 2012

An answer. And the wind part II

Well the nasty weather continued late into the night.

 Over 3,000 call outs for the SES in Victoria alone. Sadly there was a single death, a motorist hit a fallen tree at speed (and I guess fortunately it was just the one, given the widespread damage.)

My train service was still off line this morning, but they had the buses running better so I was at work on time. All in all nothing too inconvenient for me.
 The train was back to normal this afternoon.

Now on to WIIW there were some pretty good guesses at the “What is it Wednesday” this week.

Linda G guessed, “Let's see...that looks like the sky to me--some sort of clouds--next to a cliff.” Well I can kind of see what you are seeing, but it isn’t the sky

Jennifer (AKA Old Kitty) guessed “As for the pic - erm.. water draining down a plughole?!!?” Well it is water but there was nothing like a plughole in sight! 30%

Marcy Guessed “It looks like the shadow/reflection of something in the water.”
That is pretty close Marcy it is  water and it is a reflection! 60%

Carolyn V guessed “As far as the picture, is it a lake? This is a hard one!”
Yes the water is a lake! But what is the reflection?  I guess that rates 60%

Kristen guessed “I had the same idea as Linda, clouds and part of a cliff/rock.”
Alas you are no more right than Linda :-(

Jai was close too “It looks like maybe a puddle or pond reflecting something above?”
It is a reflection in a lake so you too earn 60%.

Susan guessed, “Another toughie. Looks like maybe you're in a low place, looking up toward the sky, and the dark area is the side of an overgrown embankment.”
A great guess but see above.

So what is the mystery?

Anyone  remember this guy? I used his/her beak for one of my WIIW piccies a while ago!

S/he is an fair dinkum Aussie black swan (Cygnus atratus).
I am unsure in his/her sex, I would guess a cob because the beak is pretty straight, but it is hard to tell unless you see them together. Then you can usually pick the larger birds as male. 

6 comments:

Linda G. said...

Curses! Foiled again! But that's a gorgeous swan. :)

Carolyn V said...

I love the color contrast on the swan. Gorgeous! At least I was 60% right. lol.

I hope all goes well over there and there are no more injured. That's terrible!

Old Kitty said...

Oh now that is beyond FIENDISH!!! But what a beautiful swan!! Yay! Take care
x

mshatch said...

yay for me getting close! And what a gorgeous swan!

Jai Joshi said...

Argh! You got us with this one. But I'm pretty chuffed that I was at least over 50% correct.

That black swan is so gorgeous.

Jai

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

I do believe you've been making an excellent point here. It's next to impossible to get a full grasp of the big picture when you're only concentrating on a tiny bit of reality. (Deep, huh?) The swan is beautiful. But tricky.