Wednesday, November 23, 2011

The light at the end of the…

Well my guessing game wasn’t much of a challenge.

It was indeed the light at the end of a tunnel.On Sunday Deb and I drove up to the mountains of the Great Dividing Range north of Melbourne.Not far from the town of Yea is an abandoned railway. In recent years the rail lines have been torn up and it has been turned into part of a trail for bush-walkers (hikers), bicycle and horse riders.

On the trail is a single tunnel the Cheviot Rail tunnel. Completed in 1889 it was built from hand made bricks fired locally.
Now I won’t bore you with the details too much, but I recently bought a new lens for my camera.

As you may remember I paid my new camera off over several months. The camera is a beautiful piece of gear but it came with two cheap and just about functional kit lenses.
Well I have finally managed to buy my first professional quality lens to go with the camera. At $1,200 I won’t be getting any more in a hurry (I have about another $6,000 worth of lenses on my wish list).

Anyway to cut a long story short I had a great hour or so in and around the tunnel just playing with my new lens.With a good camera you get an awful lot of control over the image you produce.

The bright light I posted last time and this shot were taken from the same spot.
The difference: controlling, aperture and exposure for a different look. I think the tunnel frames a small slice of Oz quite nicely.

This young family were surprisingly thrilled by the idea of being silhouettes in my piccie
These next two were taken from halfway through. The first a long exposure with no flash to show one of the safety bays; this is actually a little brighter than it was to the eye (no lights in the tunnel)
The second is with a flash.Enough for one night.

7 comments:

Vicki Rocho said...

Cool tunnel! I love the silhouetted ones. Fabulous

Old Kitty said...

Me - I point my camera, shoot and hope for a good pic! LOL!!! But I am most amazed by my very cheap digi camera - especially its flash feature!

Love these tunnel pics - especially the brickwork - lots of manual skill and human history there! Take care
x

mshatch said...

I have a relatively inexpensive canon which takes fairly decent pics and my son (who takes many pics for my blog) has a nikon cool pics. He would like, however, something fancier so he can capture more birds.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Great pictures. That is one amazing camera. Next thing we know, you'll be going pro on us.

Sarah Ahiers said...

I LOVE tunnels, and these pics are wonderful!

Misha Gerrick said...

Wow, it's amazing what a difference the flash and exposure can make. I love the texture in the second to last pic.

:-)

Al said...

Hi Viki,
I loved the silhouette too!
Hi Jennifer,
Don’t tell anyone I point and shoot a hundred times and pic the best :-)
Cheap digitals produce some beautiful shots.
An amazing amount of craft went into the tunnel.

Hi ms,
Compacts take lovely photos (as attested by your blog)
Your son could get really use an SLR for birds, bust photography of 3-5 shoots per second works well to catch the movement of birds.

Hi Susan,
Thank you. It is a kind of a middle of the range camera. But it does have full manual control and now a good lens.
It’s a nice fantasy, I’ll do it right after I become a successful novelist :-)

Hi Sarah,
Thank you!

Hi Misha,
Flash really flattens an image out.
Natural exposure picks out all the shadows and so the texture.
I love playing just to see the difference!