Sunday, May 15, 2011

Have Camera Will Wander

You’ll have to forgive me if this post doesn’t make much sense. I only had just over 3 hours sleep last night, and I don’t handle all-nighters like I did in my twenties.

This must be the first time in ages I have only managed two posts in a week.

Work is as crazy as ever. Then, I had my job interview on Wednesday. It seemed to go well. Not the best interview I have ever done, but I think I present well. Now it is just a matter of wait and see.

I went to post on Friday, only to find I couldn’t get on to Blogger at all. Seemed to be read only until after I went to bed.

Anyway so much for that.

Yesterday, we picked up one of our dear, dear friends from the airport. Merilyn was in Melbourne for the weekend. We went in to Melbourne for lunch and then Deb and Merilyn went shopping had some quality girl time together.

While they did that I shot off to Yarra Bend park and took my camera for a walk. I found a spot I haven’t seen before.

I walked down into the park and pointed my camera at anything that caught my interest. I am still feeling my way around the settings of my camera and enjoying exploring its capabilities.

A sample of the things I snapped.

The Yarra itself. Looking at stretches of the river like this it is hard to believe you are surrounded by the second largest metropolis in Oz.

And crossing the river here. The Fairfield Pipe Bridge. The bridge was built in 1934 to carry a pipe from the Yan Yean Reservoir to Melbourne. It replaced a similar bridge that was destroyed in disastrous floods that year.
Looking along the walkway on the bridge.All through this patch of bush various eucalyptus species are flowering. Some white.And one red.Rainbow lorikeets were darting around the bush sipping nectar. None of them cooperated with my photo taking endeavours. This guy was about ten metres up in a tree.

On the river black ducks were much more friendly.I found these delicate little fungi; the grass blades give an indication of their size.

Finally as I was leaving the moon was poking its face out above the trees.I drove back into the city to pick up Deb and Merilyn. We went to a restaurant for dinner before heading home.

The three of us sat up talking until nearly 3:00 am then I had to get up at 6:30 to run Merilyn back to the airport.

So that is it for this afternoon, because I am going to have a nap so I can make it to dinner time!

10 comments:

Kathleen Jones said...

Lovely photos Al. As you say, it's difficult to imagine that you're in teh middle of a big city. Looking forward to more snaps from the new camera. I'm very jealous - I've only got a small sony cyber-shot which is a great pocket camera, but you can't take anything too challenging.

Old Kitty said...

I have never seen eucalyptus blooms!! My goodness, they are stunning! Gorgeous!!! Yay!!

GOOD LUCK with your job interview - I have all limbs and eyes crossed for you!!!!

I hope you had a nice nap and are now ready for dinner!

Take care
x

The Words Crafter said...

What a colorful little bird! You really get some amazing shots, I love them. Especially the moon (I'm a sucker for the moon).

Sounds like you had a great time. Go get a nap and have a great week!

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Lovely pictures, especially the lorikeet and eucalyptus blossoms. Your pictures of the things that are unique to Australia are most fascinating to me, and to others, too, I'll betcha. We may never have the pleasure of seeing your fair country in person, but your photos bring it to life for us. Thank you, dear sir. (Any chance of shooting a few shots of a duck-billed platypus?!)

Linda G. said...

Sounds like a fun day -- well worth the loss of a little sleep. And gorgeous pictures, as usual. Thanks for sharing them! :)

Al said...

Hi Kathleen,
Thank you!
One of the things Oz has done fairly right is setting aside green space. Of course we are helped in that by low population densities. I am having fun with the new camera that is for sure. You might have basic camera but you have taken some really beautiful shots. I guess we are a bit even on the envy score then, I don’t know how often I have been jealous of your holidays at Peralta!


Hi Jennifer,
There are thousands of eucalyptus species. Most have quite boring flowers, and many have them high up in the canopy where you can’t see them. But a few have flowers that are as you say really stunning!
I did have nice nap thank you!

Hi Words,
Rainbow lorikeets are spectacularly beautiful. I have posted better piccies of them in the past.
I love, love, love the moon too!
Thank you.

Hi Susan,
Thank you!
I think Oz things are a popular point for my blog.
I am most happy to oblige dear lady!
I have seen a platypus in the wild exactly once. Most people think they are rare, in fact they are quite common but they are very shy and because they can hide in the water and mostly forage after dark they are very hard to see.

Hi Linda,
I agree 100% talking to good friends is certainly much more important than sleep!
You are welcome!

Sage Ravenwood said...

I absolutely love the pictures in which you share your world with us. I feel like I'm on a mini adventure whenever I visit. (Hugs)Indigo

Susan Fields said...

I hope you got a great nap! I go through phases where I only sleep a few hours at night, but I always get a nap if humanly possible. :)

Charmaine Clancy said...

You did better than me - I get to be any later than 9pm these days and I can't spell my name the next day.

Your composition is great. Hubby's the photographer in our family, but he's recently decided the girls and I must undertake lessons from him to learn the fine art (so far miss 9yr old is doing better than me).

Looks like you're making some serious progress on 'Veiled in Storms'.

Al said...

Hi Indigo,
Thank you. I love sharing.


Hi Susan,
I did have great nap.
Lack of sleep seems way more punishing that it did in my twenties.

Hi Charmaine,
I know what you mean. I almost needed a weekend to get over my weekend,
Yeah, but I don’t show you the piccies that don’t work :-)
I am making great progress, but not quite as quick as I thought.